“Joan Hensler stands in front of old Essex fire station with Alex Baumgartner, center, president of the Essex Historical group, and George J. Martinak, president of the Middle River Heritage Society, a backer of group’s efforts to get station.”
Creator – Swagger
Source – http://store.baltimoresun.com/photos.html?df_direct_id=BMI-156-BS
Publisher – Baltimore Sun
Date – 1973-11-06
This granite marker once stood at the corner of Mace and Franklin Avenues where it was placed in 1798 as a result of a boundary dispute. according to records of the Heritage Society of Essex and Middle River. The land where it stood was named Hines Purchase in recognition of owner Thomas Hines. The marker is now located at the Heritage Society Museum at 516 Eastern Boulevard in downtown Essex. Another stands in front of Elementary School on Mace Avenue.
“Before there was a Back & Middle River Building and Loan Company, before there was a Peter’s Restaurant, and whatever is at those locations today…..in the late 1890’s Weber’s Store & Beer Garden was located at the corner of Back River Neck Rd. (it wasn’t called Stemmers Run Road back then) and Eastern Ave.” — Keith Roberts
Source – Keith Roberts
Date – 1890s
Edward Weinkam ran the ice business for Essex in the 1950s, delivering frozen blocks of ice to customers with ice boxes. The old ice house was located near Commodore Hall. This photo of his ice truck rushing off to make deliveries was taken in front of his brother William Weinkam’s home on Maryland Ave. in Essex.
Source – JoAnn Weinkam Weiland
Date – 1950s