This granite marker once stood at the corner of Mace and Franklin Avenues where it was placed in 1798 as a result of a boundary dispute. according to records of the Heritage Society of Essex and Middle River. The land where it stood was named Hines Purchase in recognition of owner Thomas Hines. The marker is now located at the Heritage Society Museum at 516 Eastern Boulevard in downtown Essex. Another stands in front of Elementary School on Mace Avenue.
Three Essex-related commercials taped on VHS in 1987:
1. John Burdyck’s Full-Contact Karate “Battle of Baltimore” at Essex Community College
2. “Battle of Baltimore Bikini Contest” at Slammers Nite Club in White Marsh, MD
3. JB’s Oasis Bar on Earls Road in Essex / Bowley’s Quarters, MD
Contributor – Scott Huffines
Picnic beach. The Pospisils purchased four waterfront lots on Bay Drive in Bowleys Quarters in 1923, clearing trees and opening 200 feet of shoreline to the public as a swimming beach and picnic grounds. Mary Pospisil recalls the family closing up the nightclub late Saturday night, attending 2:30 a.m. Mass at St. Vincent’s church downtown and then transporting food to the Bowleys shore for Sunday business. The family moved there to live in the 1940s. — Jackie Nickel
Mary Pospisil, Jackie Nickel