The Heritage Society of Essex and Middle River, Inc. is a non-profit organization staffed by volunteers whose goal is the preservation of the history of Essex and Middle River, Maryland. We understand the value of history and we want to share and preserve this community’s heritage and pass it unto our children, grandchildren and all future generations to come. We want to let other people know how they can join in and make a difference in not only their lives, but the lives of others and future generations also. The first meeting was held at Essex Elementary on Sept. 26th, 1968 and the Museum opened exactly seven years later on Sept. 26th, 1975. The Museum is housed in the 1920 Fire/Police Station which also served as a court house.
The Mission of The Heritage Society of Essex and Middle River:
To investigate, collect and preserve the history of the Essex and Middle River areas for ourselves and future generations; to support and promote programs and projects for the good of the people of these areas.
We take pride in our ongoing achievements at The Heritage Society:
- Conducts tours of the museum
- Holds fundraisers to maintain the museum & exhibits
- Hosts the annual Community Christmas Tree Lighting and other holiday events with other local organizations
- Participates in various community events
- Sponsors historical walking tours
- Visits — upon request — to schools & other organizations in the community to provide information on the history of Essex & Middle River
- Conducts school & organization tours of the museum by appointment
- Maintains archives & assists members of the public with research
- Preserves the past of Essex & Middle River by community outreach
- Hosts speakers on series of history, collections & local subjects of interest
The museum is a nonprofit 501(c)(3) organization.
Major funding for The Heritage Society of Essex and Middle River, Inc. comes from the people. Become a member.
President: Lisa Harlow
Vice President: George Weiss
Building & Maintenance Director: Cynthia (Sandy) Gruzs,
Secretary: William Feuer
Membership Committee Chair: Kelly Bowman
Historian: Paul M. Blitz
Trustees: Brian K. Marchetti, Karie May, Del. Ric Metzgar
Phone: (443) 579-5266
Archivist: Jenette Parish
Archivist/Web: Scott Huffines